Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Critic

I'm trying to accomplish at least one thing from my "summer to-do list", which means more posts on the bloggity! I know you are overcome with joy by this news. ;)

Last week I finished reading The Help. I debated about reading this book for a while, there had been several mixed reviews among friends and I just wasn't sure. I saw a preview for the movie and decided I should just bite the bullet and read it since I would probably regret having not read it when the movie comes out (which is inevitably what always happens). It was a little hard for me to get into, as I had to read some parts a little slower than usual. Each chapter has a different character narating, which in some cases required a little more scrutiny depending on the point of view. That being said, I did eventually get really into it and finished the book in just a couple days. Overall, it was a good book. I definitely recommend it and I'm really looking forward to the movie.

I also saw Transformers Dark of the Moon last week as well. Now for those of you who don't know, my childhood was spent playing "boys" games rather than "house" like most little girls. I grew up making G.I. Joe parachute from trees and playing with Heman and Thundercats in the bathtub. Transformers were one of my favorite toys and cartoons! I woke up every Saturday morning to watch Optimus and the other Autobots fight the good fight. So, when the first movie came out I was ECSTATIC! It was a great action movie, followed by the equally impressive 2nd film. The only thing I did not like about either movie was Megan Fox, and since I read celebrity gossip like it's occuring in my own little small town, I knew she had been replaced long before the trailers hit theaters. Going into this movie very optimistic it would surpass the previous two, made me a little nervous while I sat and waited for the previews to start. Let me just say, I was not disappointed! The Dark of the Moon is definitely my favorite of the three Transformer movies. It wasn't just another battle of good vs evil, between Autobots and Decepticons. We were introduced to a few new human faces, some of which were on the wrong side of the line between good and evil. There was more character development and a stronger plot than in the other two movies. Overall, I highly recommend this movie!!

Next up on the book list is The Book Thief. Dev is currently reading this one and said it's pretty good, and I found it for $9.99 at Hastings so I decided to give it a try. I also have another Elizabeth Gilbert book in the wings to read after that. She wrote Eat, Pray, Love - which I loved! For those of you who didn't read it, go buy it! The movie is okay, but the book is MUCH better. The new one I will be reading is called Committed. It follows Liz and her journey with the hard decision of remarriage. I will keep you posted on both of the upcoming reads. :)

Another thing I've been wanting to voice my opinion on is this whole feather in the hair thing. At first I thought it was rather silly and heard about places in California using real Peacock feathers...Which is disgusting! But, I digress, most of the places around here use fake feathers (I mean really, with a pricetag of $8 how could it not be fake?). After a while of contemplating this idea, I have finally decided to get one. I know, I'm a 20 year old right? I think the touch of color is awesome and just all around fun for the summer. So, at lunch today, Candy and I are going to go get clip on feathers! We decided on the clip on versions, since we aren't 15 and have jobs. The boss is out all week so we can wear them through Friday and then have them to just clip on whenever we feel like it. I'm leaning toward a solid, bright color. Maybe a blue, teal, green, or purple. I will definitely keep you posted on this venture.

Hope you all had a fun and safe 4th of July, and remembered the reasons we celebrate this great holiday!

xoxo,
kris

No comments:

Post a Comment