Thursday, March 8, 2012

What the cool kids are doing.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm definitely all for donating to charities, especially those that help children. However, when you're deciding which charities/organizations to give your hard earned money to, you need to at least do a little research about them - and by research I don't just mean watching this J Kony 2012 video on Facebook. Anyone can post videos to Youtube and Facebook and Twitter etc. There are always two sides to every coin, if you don't believe me, check out this article also about Kony. After watching the video and then reading the article you will definitely see what I mean.

Any charity should be more than willing to show any and all tax/monitary records. Most reputable organizations have these documents available on their website, so you can easily see anything you might have a question about prior to making a donation. I know that one of my favorite organizations Love146 (who's missions is to end child slavery/trafficking) has their tax information available online. I was actually a little skeptical of them when I first encountered their information, but then I researched their stuff and made an informed decision that was not based on my best friend's facebook status or my favorite celebrity's tweet. Now there is a difference between spreading a message and blatant misguided propaganda. Many Americans I'm sad to say are stuck in their own little bubbles and are ultimately oblivious to the rest of the world. So, the viral spreading of videos like this are doing a great job of spreading the word about the mistreatment of people in other portions of the world, however we need to be very careful when these videos are also asking for monetary donations. Don't just blindly follow, learn something first!

Hope everyone has a great spring break if you have one and if not, sucks for you! ;)

xoxo
kris

No comments:

Post a Comment